The Seafarer Advocacy Intern will identify current issues and advocacy trends in seafarers’ rights and ocean care; develop a public awareness program for business, civic, community and faith organizations. Where appropriate, the Advocacy Intern will organize advocacy efforts to secure support for proposals and policies to remedy violations and deficiencies.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Ideal applicants have interest in human rights and environmental issues. Some skill or experience in organizing and advocacy is helpful. Some familiarity with maritime industry.
- Ideal candidates will be currently enrolled in an educational, skills or career development program; actively involved in a faith-based or community serving organization; be considered an emerging leader in the organization or community.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Able to handle multiple projects with collaborative work style.
- Have valid CA drivers’ license with clean driving record
- Be eligible to obtain a TWIC card. Before applying, please review the requirements here https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create an atmosphere of welcome and hospitality to seafarers visiting the IMC
- Successfully Complete Ship Welfare Visitor Course [online at shipwelfarevisitor.com] and other learning assignments
- Visit crews onboard ships in port of Oakland [possibly other Bay Area Ports].
- Communicate with seafarers of multi-nationalities, faith traditions and political orientations.
- Research national and global policy issues related to seafarers’ rights and ocean protection
- Conduct outreach to faith, business, civic and community groups to educate and inspire groups to advocate for seafarers’ rights and ocean protection.
- Engage public officials, community organizations, and coalitions virtually to learn of national and global advocacy issues and practices
- Provide advocacy and help in an emergency or crisis.
- Attend North American Maritime Ministry Association conference [NAMMA] in Seattle WA August 1-3, 2023 [REQUIRED]
- Assist in the design and content development for The Seafaring Channel on YouTube.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Be skilled in using Microsoft Office and all digital platforms [esp, websites/social media].
- Be able to climb steep stairs [to board ships]