The Seafarers’ Ministry Interns [SMI] will provide hospitality and pastoral care to visiting seafarers from a Christian [or other faith] perspective. Likewise, the Ministry Intern is expected to introduce and promote seafarers’ issues and concerns within their faith community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create an atmosphere of welcome and hospitality to seafarers visiting the IMC
- Successfully Complete Ship Welfare Visitor Course [online at shipwelfarevisitor.com] and other learning assignments
- Visit crews onboard ships in port of Oakland [possibly other Bay Area Ports].
- Communicate and Minister to seafarers of multi-nationalities and faith traditions [onboard and/or virtual spiritual guidance and counseling]
- Conduct religious service[s] on ship or at the Maritime Center [as requested]
- Escort family members on ship to visit loved ones
- Provide help in an emergency or crisis.
- Attend North American Maritime Ministry Association [NAMMA] conference in Seattle WA August 1-3, 2023 [REQUIRED]
- Assist in the design and content development for the SMGG.org and imcbayarea.net websites, and The Seafaring Channel on YouTube.
- Conduct outreach to faith organizations to educate and inspire congregations to support seafarers’ welfare and rights.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Ideal applicants have interest and gifts for pastoral care/chaplaincy. Also have some familiarity with maritime industry.
- Ideal candidates will be currently enrolled in an educational, skills or career development program; actively involved in a faith-based or community serving organization; be considered an emerging leader in the organization or community.
- Detail-oriented with ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Able to handle multiple projects with collaborative work style.
- Have valid CA drivers’ license with clean driving record
- Be eligible to obtain a TWIC card . Before applying, please review the requirements here https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Be skilled in using Microsoft Office, and digital platforms [esp. websites/social media].
- Be able to climb steep stairs [to board ships]